Rules violation costs Citation win, record, $900,000-plus in Big Rock

http://www.jdnews.com/sports/rock-79581-city-rules.html

Rules violation costs Citation win, record, $900,000-plus in Big Rock
    Comments 4 | Recommend 0
    Angler says one of crew didn't have fishing license
    June 20, 2010 4:37 PM
    Rick Scoppe
    The Daily News

MOREHEAD CITY — A rules violation has cost the Citation its record-setting win in the 52nd Big Rock Blue Marlin Tournament.

Angler Andy Thomossan, who caught the record-setting 883-pound blue marlin Monday, said Sunday afternoon tournament officials had stripped the Hatteras-boat of the win, the record and the $912,825 prize money from the $1.66 million purse.

“No record. No money. No fish. No nothing,” Thomossan said, adding the rules violation was that one of the crew didn't have a fishing license as required.

Thomossan said he first got wind something might be wrong at Saturday night’s awards banquet, and Sunday morning the tournament sent out a news release said the board of directors was withholding presentation of the prize money until “an alleged rules violation by the top team has been totally researched.”

Tournament director Crystal Watters, who sent out the e-mail news release, couldn’t be immediately reached immediately for comment. The captain of the Citation, Eric Holmes, also couldn’t immediately be reached Sunday.

With the Citation being stripped of its win, the winning boat will now be Carnivore, which is captained by Ed Petrilli of Cape Carteret. Angler John Parks of Jacksonville caught a 528.3-pound blue marlin Wednesday.

Neither Petrilli nor Parks could be immediately reached for comment Sunday.
    Last edited by jackdaniels; 06-20-2010 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Rules violation costs Citation win, record, $900,000-plus in Big Rock

I support advertisers

killing stuff cause it feels good
    Boat
    Last Call
    Home Port
    Ocean City, MD
    Best Catch
    triple slam in Venezuela 1997 or 31 sails in a day Mexico 98
    Occupation
    Marine Surveyor and Charterboat Captain
    Just curious, is the Citation a charter boat? I thought the HMS permitted Charter boats were exempted from individual licenses (assuming this is the new countmyfish.noaa.gov angler registry license). if they are a private boat, I guess that everyone on the rig needs a license?

Kind of sucks, but rules are rules.
    Franky Pettolina
    Marine Surveyor and Consultant
    SAMS~AMS--ABYC Standards Accredited--Chapman Grad
    410-251-0575 surveyfp@yahoo.com
    www.lastcallcharters.com

I support advertisers

If Ignorance is bliss, Why aren't more people happy? clt_capt's Avatar
    Boat
    Luhrs 36
    Home Port
    MHC
    Occupation
    Supporting my Tackle habit
    I'm guessing it was the NC Saltwater License. I would have thought the boat would have a blanket Charter Rec Fishing License...

But here are the rules as written...

HMS Permits
    All boats must have one of the following valid permits - HMS Angling (recreational), HMS Charter/Headboat, or Atlantic Tunas General Category Permit (commercial). Permits will be valid from the date of issuance through December 31, 2010. Permits must be on board the vessel when engaged in fishing. The Big Rock Tournament is a registered recreational HMS tournament. For more information - www.nmfspermits.com or (888)-872-8862.

North Carolina Recreational Fishing License: As of 01/01/2009
    The North Carolina Division of Marine Fisheries will require a recreational fishing license for anyone participating in fishing aboard a vessel. This includes a license for the captain, the mate and the anglers. These individual licenses can be purchased on a 10-day, annual or lifetime basis.
    252-726-7021. http://www.ncfisheries.net/recreational/NCCRFL.htm

Participant is responsible for knowing all state and federal regulations or any recent changes that may occur.
    "There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot." --STEVEN WRIGHT [SIGPIC]t[/SIGPIC]

I support advertisers

Boat
    Big Easy
    Home Port
    Hatteras, NC
    Occupation
    Charter boat operator
    I don't think these rules really have any bearing on a fishing contest. These are rules set up to collect taxes. The Feds and State should be required to enforce their own rules and issue fines as necessary.

The tournament should not be in the position of being the policeman.

www.bigeasycharters.com
    Hatteras, NC year round

I support advertisers

Salon puppy
    What a bunch of crap! One less license doesn't make the captain and crew any less deserving. Wasn't he the camera man anyway? He would have been one on my boat.

I support advertisers

Anthony's Ark is a blowboater skirt chaser's Avatar
    Boat
    albemarle
    Home Port
    Wachapreague Va
    Best Catch
    wife
    Occupation
    us govt

shame

it's a shame that is a costly mistake . I feel sorry for the boat and crew . what a way to lose a lot of coin
    24 ALBE SKIRTCHASER
    35 CUSTOM LYN B Wachapreague VA

I support advertisers

I think Admin is going to let me have this space
    The tournament committee should be drawn and quartered for DQ'ing those boys on a bullshit technicality like that.

Who da rat???

Crab mustard is good
    Boat
    Hooked Up II
    Home Port
    Cape May, NJ
    Best Catch
    Capt Diana
    Occupation
    charter captain

It makes no sense to me at all

I found out this winter we needed a NC charter boat license to bottom fish down off Morehead City and up to this point I had no idea one was needed. How this plays out in a big game tournament like the Big Rock has me puzzled and how many of the out of state boats that fish the tournament have everyone with a NC license salt water license on board.
    I do not know or agree the the Citation should be stripped of anything due to a state regulation and this should have been mentioned to everyone that entered the tournament ahead of time. Was this the case on the entry forms and if so that might be a different story if it was built in as part of the Big Rock rules. If it was not brought to the attention of all those entered then it is BS in my opinion.

I would not be surprised that the Northern boats that fished the spring BFT run for a few weeks out of Oregon Inlet probably did not have the NC salt water fishing license as most I know were not aware they needed one which is no excuse but nothing more than not being aware of NC regulations since most only GBT fish and have a NC Land & Sell license but some do take charters out when GBT fishing.

I feel bad to read just a great catch be denied because of this.

I support advertisers

I think Admin is going to let me have this space canyongear's Avatar
    Boat
    "CanyonGear" 60' Hatteras - "Reel A Fish Al" 50' Custom
    Home Port
    Jupiter, Florida
    Best Catch
    950# GBT 600# Marlin 300# BigEye
    Occupation
    Founder, Managing Member, Custom Lures - Big Game Tackle
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Josh View Post

Who da rat???
    Good point..

Sit down Shut up And fish
    Occupation
    Mate
    Unreal... i wonder how many boats in past years that have gotten their money had someone on board without it...

here come the lawsuites...

I support advertisers

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast